Friday, May 4, 2012

DIY Thank you cards

Here's the next DIY.

Recital time is upon me for the studios I work at and my first year of teaching is almost done. I thought it would be nice for me to show my gratefulness for the hard work they've put in by giving them all thank you cards. I luckily found some blank thank you cards on clearance at Target for only $0.88 for 10! So I picked up enough for my 50 students and a couple extras in case I messed up, always have to plan ahead.


I instantly wanted to customize the cards so they had more a personal feel.(Directions after jump)



So here's what you need:
alphabet stamp (if you have messy hand writing like me)
ink pad of your color choice (I used black)
simple patterned, blank thak you card(s)
colored pencils or crayons
and some spare time


I picked up theses type writer alphabet stamps at Amazon for only $8, cheaper than Michaels ($12!)
I have what my mother calls "chicken stratch" hand writing...so cool stamps it is.



I'd make sure you have double checked the correct spelling of the name you're about to stamp. I wrote all my students name down on one sheet, just to double check. Don't want to call a Riley a Rylee or call a Kristin a Kristen....I'd also make sure you have a blank piece of paper next to you so you can stamp that once before actually stamping the card, so that each letter is a similiar darkness. I made the mistake of putting too much ink on one and not enough on the other...that card made into the trash, it didn't look pretty.


So 50 thank you cards later, I had to take a break in between, lots of stamping. I let the cards sit for a day before deciding to customize them even more. I thought it would be nice to color the border different colors based on the class to accompany the costume.


Card on the left hasn't been colored and card on right has been colored pink. You could go darker, I preferred the tinted look.


Here's some more colored cards.


Hope you enjoyed this DIY. I even made a signature stamp to save my hand from signing all these cards. So look out for that DIY soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment